11.07.2007

גם זה יעבור

Yesterday I woke up in Antigua as if nothing was out of the ordinary.
Today I woke up in Toronto.

This just goes to show that you never can be too sure of what will happen in life. It is just another reminder to never become complacent.

So how exactly does all of this fit in with my story, with my year of great adventure? Well It actually fits in surprisingly well and harmonizies with a blog that was named for this very opportunity.

this too shall pass.

A very simple phrase with an incredibly profound meaning. I first heard it with regards to the parable of King Solomon. If you are familiar with it then you will know that King Solomon was widely known as a very wise man. As such he liked to test his ministers to keep them sharp and on their toes. One day he called his most trusted minister in and gave him a task that he himself thought impossible. He said, "I wish you to go out and fetch me something that makes the saddest man happy and the happiest man sad."

And so his minister set out and he searched the land high and low and yet he could not find the object which he sought. And so on the last day remaining in his mission he dejectedly turned around and headed back to the Palace. On his way he walked through the market place. The merchants were persistently hawking their wares and yet the minister paid them no heed. Yet one lone merchant with a sign advertising 'Exactly what you're looking for' managed to catch his attention. So in one last desperate attempt, the Minister inquired after his elusive object.

"umm... Excuse me? Do you by any chance have something that would make the saddest man happy and the happiest man sad?"

"oh," replied the Merchant, "that, I do."

"Really? Inquired the Minister, because I have searched the land over for it!"

"Isn't it just the case that it's always in the last place you look," replied the Merchant with a twinkle to his eye. "Just give me ten minutes."

And sure enough ten minutes later the Merchant returned cupping a tiny parcel. This he unwrapped to the eager suspense of the Minister who was horrified to notice that all that lay unwrapped was a single gold band. But as he held it up and inspected it closer he realized that the ring was engraved. It said, 'this too shall pass'. The Minister had passed an impossible mission.

And so the Minister returned to his King.

"Well, my friend," said Solomon, "have you found what I sent you after?" All the other ministers laughed and Solomon himself smiled.

To everyone's surprise, the Minister held up a small gold ring and declared, "Here it is, your majesty!" As soon as Solomon read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. For his most trusted minister had indeed found the very thing that would make the saddest man happy and the happiest man sad.

And so, as things didn't work out entirely as I thought they would and a twist of fate lands me in Toronto, I am reminded once again to keep a little percpective. My time on the boat was wonderful as I was surrounded by an amazing crew of people that I was fortunate to meet. And yet sometimes, for instance while I was puking out what seemed to be my very soul, I would have paid a whole months salary if the boat would only stop going up and down. And just as the ship rocks up and down I am reminded of a memorable quote from the movie Blow.

"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

Remember, this too shall pass.

No comments: